Despite a tornado warning, rolling thunderstorms and the risks of spreading Covid-19, spectators came out in full force to watch the first launch attempt on Wednesday.
Images from local news outlets showed massive crowds and few people following CDC guidelines. NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine has said he hopes this launch will inspire awe and uplift the general public during the ongoing health crisis.
Bridenstine and SpaceX chief operating officer Gwynne Shotwell previously implored the public to follow the launch on television in order to prevent crowds of spectators from triggering a Covid 19 outbreak.
Even more people could turn out for the weekend launch attempt.
Restrictions in Florida continue to loosen despite upticks in confirmed cases of Covid-19 within the state.
The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, which was closed during Wednesday’s launch attempt, officially reopened on Thursday.
The center’s website says only a limited number of people will be allowed on site to view this launch. Masks and temperature checks will be required for all guests.
Tickets quickly sold out after going on sale earlier this week.